The Vancouver Children’s Literature organizes many events throughout the year.
Membership Year 2015-16
- The Annual VCLR Illustrator’s Breakfast with Marla Frazee
Saturday November 7, 2015 at the University Golf Club 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Includes breakfast. Book sales by KidsBooks. Silent auction.
- A Celebration of our Award Winning BC Authors and Illustrators
With special guests Rachel Hartman and the Children’s Literature Roundtables of Canada 2015 Information Book Award winner.*
January 27, 2016, 7 – 9 pm | Creekside Community Centre, 1 Athletes Way, Vancouver | BC wines & cheeses | Silent Auction
- Serendipity Gala Celebration
Friday, March 4, 2016 | University Golf Course | 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Join us for dinner as we celebrate the lifetime accomplishments of Judith Saltman—children’s librarian, University professor, chair of the Master of Arts in Children’s Literature program at UBC, academic author, children’s literature author, outspoken advocate of children’s literature, and dear friend to many.
- Serendipity 2016: Home and Away
Saturday, March 5, 2015 | Robson Square Auditorium | 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., breakfast and lunch included.
Our speakers for this year’s Serendipity event have been recognized by awards for literary excellence and by passionate readers for their integrity, creativity and commitment to the growth of imagination and conscience in childhood. They write fantasy and science fiction, historical and realistic fiction for all ages of childhood and young adulthood, and they share an imaginative exploration of a real address—a sense of home and identity, cultural, national, personal—whether these homes are constructed realities, historical periods, or the Canadian here and now.
This year’s speakers include M.T. Anderson, Maggie DeVries, Sarah Ellis, Gregory McGuire, Jean Little, Cynthia Nugent and Kit Pearson.
Membership Year 2014-15
- The VCLR Annual Illustrator’s Breakfast with special guest, Marie-Louise Gay
Saturday October 18, 2014 at the University Golf Club 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Includes breakfast. Book sales by KidsBooks. Silent auction.
- AuthorFest at UBC with Norma Charles, Robert Heidbreder, and Deborah Hodges
November 17, 2014, Scarfe 100, 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. FREE to all.
- A Celebration of our Award Winning BC Authors and Illustrators of 2014 with guest speaker Kit Pearson winner of the 2014 Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence. The event celebrates many other BC winners and finalists of the Governor General’s Literary Awards, the BC Book Prizes, the VCLR Information Book Award, and several other important awards. A Wine and Cheese event from 7 – 9 p.m. at Creekside Community Centre January 21, 2015. FREE to members and students.
- Edgy, Eerie, Exceptional Serendipity 2015 with Holly Black, Andrew Smith, Mariko Tamaki, Molly Idle, and Kelli Chipponeri. March 7, 2015, 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., breakfast and lunch included.
- In person: Jacqueline Woodson Friday, May 8, 2015, 7:00 p.m at Robson Square. Tickets $25. Everyone is welcome.
Membership Year 2013-14
- Julie Flett, Julie Morstad, and Richard Van Camp in Conversation
Saturday October 19, 2013 at the University Golf Club 8:30 am – 12:00 pm. Includes breakfast. Book sales by KidsBooks. More details to come.
- Poetry Please! Tiffany Stone and Robert Heidbreder, two well-known BC children’s poets whose published works include Rainbow Shoes (Kirkus starred review), Floyd the Flamingo and His Flock of Friends, Black and Bittern Was Night (Publishers Weekly starred review) and Crocodiles Play, will take you on a poetic ride. You will listen to poetry, act it out, read it, write your own poems, and discover some criteria for choosing and writing poetry with your class. Friday November 22, 2013 at the University Golf Club. Co-sponsored by CWILL.
- Serendipity: Children’s Literature in a Digital Age
Saturday March 8, 2014. From apps to e-books to social media, Serendipity 2014 is all about technology and books for young people. We hope to see you there!
Confirmed Speakers: Arthur Slade (@arthurslade), Travis Jonker (@100scopenotes), John Schumacher (@MrSchuReads), Tim Federle (@TimFederle), and Paul Zelinsky (@paulozelinsky).
Membership Year 2012-13
- Friday, October 12, 4:30 – 5:30 PM. Leonard Marcus presents “Let the Wild Rumpus Start: Maurice Sendak as Storyteller and Psychologist” at Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, Lillooet Room, Room 301, Level 3, Chapman Learning Commons, 1961 East Mall, The University of British Columbia. This is a free event. All are welcome. No registration necessary.
- Friday, October 19, Kenneth Oppel, presenter at “Dark Alchemy: Literary Brews and Constructions Conjured Across the Curriculum” at Oakridge Auditorium, 8:30 am – 1:00 pm. After September 23rd Prices: Members $50; Students $35; Non-members $65. Registration fee includes lunch.
- Tuesday, November 13, An Evening with Susan Juby & Susin Nielsen at Vancouver KidsBooks
- Saturday, February 23, The Illustrator’s Breakfast featuring Oliver Jeffers at the University Golf Club. SOLD OUT
Membership Year 2011-12
- Fall Breakfast with Barbara Reid & Jo Ellen Bogart Saturday, October 15, 2011 Celebrating the 2011 TD Grade One Book Giveaway.
- Authorfest 2012 was held on February 2, 2012.
- On Saturday February 25, 2012 we held Serendipity 2012 Year of the Dragon: Asian Themes for Young Canadian Readers. To see what you missed click here.
- New to our Serendipity weekend was the Gala Evening on Friday February 24, 2012. We co-hosted a Distinguished Speaker Dinner with the B.C. Literacy Council. Our featured speaker was Dr. Lee Gunderson from the Department of Language and Literacy at UBC, who presented on “Comprehensibility and Children’s Literature: Reading in Multilingual Classrooms.”
Membership Year 2010-11
- Serendipity 2011 A Graphic Novel Event with Gene Yang, Raina Telgemeier, Matt Holm, Aaron Renier, and others. February 26, 2011
- Breakfast with Jack Zipes Saturday March 27, 2010 “Discovering Buried Fairy Tales: Adventures of a Scholarly Scavenger” Join us for breakfast and an engaging talk by Professor Jack Zipes, world renowned scholar of folklore and fairy tale, as he shares with us some of his travels in the realms of fairy. With Janet Wilson, winner of the Roundtables of Canada Information Book Award.
- Breakfast with Pierre Pratt Saturday, October 16, 2010 Pierre Pratt has won numerous awards for his illustrations, including the Governor General’s Award for Illustration, the UNICEF Award at the Bologna Book Fair, and the Mr. Christie’s Book Award. Pierre Pratt lives in Montreal. Pierre Pratt a illustré plus d’une cinquantaine de livres jeunesse, dont la série Klonk de François Gravel. Depuis ses débuts, de nombreux prix sont venus récompenser son talent, tant au Canada qu’à l’étranger. Adepte de l’acrylique, Pierre Pratt n’a besoin que de lumière et de papier pour que son imagination s’emballe. Grâce à la grande liberté que lui procure son travail, il partage son temps.